filed in Cultural and Religious on Jul.07, 2010
Food is considered as God (Brahman) in Hinduism. They believe that food is source of nourishment for entire physical, mental and emotional aspects of a human being. They think that food is gift of God and should be respected carefully. Here we will discuss food and eating habits of Hindus.
Hinduism and Vegetarianism
According to religious concepts of Hinduism, they think that “you are what to eat”. Eating food by killing animals is considered mental block and physical growth by Hindus. This is the main reason for most of Hindus rely on eating vegetables and avoid eating meat. Another religious belief regarding meat is that they think killing innocent animals for the sake of food is wrong that influence the lives of human beings in several ways and also affect the whole planet.
Hindu Foods and Restrictions
- Cow is considered as Godess according to religious belief of Hinduism so eating beef is strictly forbidden by Hindus.
- They use to eat dairy products like milk, yoghurt, butter etc and believe that these things enhance the spiritual purity.
- Pork is also a forbidden food item in Hinduism.
- All type of food obtained from animal is forbidden to eat by several sects of Hinduism.
- Some foods are also restricted to eat for geographical locations.
- Some of pious Hindus avoid eating even stimulating food like onion, garlic and other red colored food like red lentils and tomatoes.
- Vegetarians are advocated by Hindus to avoid violence and pain.
Hindus and Eating
Regardless of food that include in the eating culture of Hindus, they have good eating habits and attitude like:
- They like to eat with family, friends and relatives so we can say that sharing food is important aspect of Hindus eating habits.
- They also serve food to needy and poor people in the form of charity.
- Lots of religious aspects are involved in eating habits of Hindus so they follow the rules of Hinduism while eating.
- Keeping fast is also an important aspect of eating culture of Hinduism and they keep fasts on religious events regularly.
- Hindus also focus on eating healthy food according to their physical needs.
- As food industry has been groomed everywhere in the world, modern community of Hindus like to eat fast food and restaurant food.
- Different types of drinks are included in regular diet of Hindus and mostly they drink wine of different types. Wine is always remained a cultural aspect of their eating and food.
Hope this information will aware you from eating and food culture of Hindus and you will enjoy the reading.